katiewilkins186

Stephen King
Arduino Projects Book
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Michael Shiloh, Tom Igoe

Lingerie Wars

Lingerie Wars - Janet Elizabeth Henderson Lake Benson never imagined himself selling lingerie, but after loaning his less-than-business-savvy little sister money to buy the shop, he has to step in if he wants his money back. Sadly for Lake’s plans to get out fast, another lingerie shop run by gorgeous ex-model Kirsty Campbell is providing some stiff competition. Kirsty’s self-confidence is still low after abandonment by a thieving ex-fiance, but the competition and budding romance with Lake help her learn how to hold her own again.

I picked this up looking for a fun romantic comedy and I definitely got that. The characters are nearly all stereotypes, but I liked them anyway. In fact, I may have liked them because they were stereotypes. They’re interesting and endearing characters that show up over and over for a reason. I also thought that these particular characters had a lot of personality. The only problem I had with the book is that based on the back-of-the-book description, I didn’t expect Kirsty’s lack of confidence. I expected something of a modern day Taming of the Shrew, with a cocky male lead yes, but with an equally confident and flirtatious female lead to balance him out. Instead, Kirsty was just melty and hopeless whenever Lake was around. I found this entirely unrelatable which made it hard for me to vicariously enjoy the romance.

Despite it’s lack of Taming of the Shrew-like banter, this book did share the comedy of that play. The plot was just as zany and over-the-top as you’d expect from the description. The characters are involved in all sorts of crazy hijinks that made for entertaining reading. I also thought the sex scenes were done quite well, sticking to seriously suggestive without being too explicit for the light tone of the story. In a lot of ways, this book was the perfect summer read. I just prefer a more balanced power dynamic to a boy-rescues-girl scenario.

This review first published on Doing Dewey.