katiewilkins186

Stephen King
Arduino Projects Book
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Michael Shiloh, Tom Igoe

Serenity: Those Left Behind

Serenity: Those Left Behind - Will Conrad, Brett Matthews, Joss Whedon This comic is an extension of the amazing TV show Firefly, cancelled well before it’s time. I was so excited to find that the story continued! I’ve also been looking for a comic to try for my genre challenge, so it was perfect. For those of you unfamiliar with the show, it’s basically a western crossed with a space opera and follows a group of renegades from the Alliance which controls most known planets. The characters are definitely the real selling point and the show was both hilarious and awesome.

The comic is prefaced by a great letter by the actor Nathan Fillion and includes periodic divisions with drawings of the main characters. These were some of my favorite parts. Some of the drawing is good and some of it isn’t, but the majority of the story is drawn in a style I enjoyed. I especially liked that the drawing was fairly realistic, since it better captured the feel of the show. The story itself picks up with a lot of the plot points left hanging by the premature ending of the tv show, although it doesn’t resolve any of them in this first book.

Unfortunately, I don’t think comic books are really my thing. The way the writing is broken up, a little bit on each panel, made it harder for me to get into the story. I also felt like the action scenes, depicted as a series of stills, were harder to follow than either a tv show where you can watch the action happen or a book where the action is explained clearly. Finally, while the plot length was comparable to that of an episode of the show, it felt shorter and less satisfying in comic form. I will, however, be giving a few more graphic novels and comics a chance to see if they grow on me.

This review first published on Doing Dewey.