katiewilkins186

Stephen King
Arduino Projects Book
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Michael Shiloh, Tom Igoe

Into The Fire

Into The Fire - Lindsey Fairleigh, Lindsey Pogue nto The Fire is the sequel to After The Ending (which is currently on sale on amazon for only $.99 by the way!) and picks up right where the previous book left off. The world has basically come to a halt due to a virus and two friends, Dani and Zoe, are trying to survive with everything changing. Strange new abilities, people gone mad, and crazy government conspiracies are just a few of the exciting elements of this great series.

Even though some of the characters were similar to one another, I quickly remembered who was who as I started this sequel. I’ve often found that difficult in other series, but in this series, the characters stuck with me very vividly. No information dump needed. One complaint people had with the previous book was the central role romance played, despite the world nearly ending. I actually found it really realistic and think it’s part of why the characters seemed so believable to me. As long as people aren’t in immediate danger, interpersonal drama and the building of romantic relationships is always going to be a thing. That said, I think people who were bothered by the romance will find it less of a problem in Into The Fire. While some enjoyable romance is still present, it clearly plays a secondary role compared to the action and world building.

Something exciting was constantly happening. The action kept me turning pages as fast as I could! The world building was very well done. Most of the new information about how this world works was revealed to us early on, but throughout the book we discover how individual characters got to where they are. I thought this was a great way to avoid artificially holding information back – something that has always been a pet peeve of mine in YA – while still keeping me curious. There were a few little pet peeves of mine that did show up in this one, including some slightly too serendipitous occurrences and characters who refuse to talk about their problems, but overall, this was an incredibly fun read.

Even the science was quite well done. Although I’m not convinced that what happened in the book could happen in real life, the book is both internally consistent and consistent with basic science. Some of the facts of our reality our different from the book, but again – the basic science holds. I love when authors do their research! So yep, great characters, fascinating world building, constant action, and believable science. Obviously, I’m going to highly recommend this one.

This review first published on Doing Dewey.