katiewilkins186

Stephen King
Arduino Projects Book
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Michael Shiloh, Tom Igoe

Born Wicked

Born Wicked - Jessica Spotswood Imagine there were witches and that they came to the new world, lured by the promise of religious freedom. Imagine next that, in a backlash against the witches leadership, a male dominated society was formed in which women were expected to be uneducated and subservient. This is the world in which Cate Cahill and her sisters, born witches, struggle to survive. As the time for Cate to choose marriage or the Sisterhood, her promise to protect her sisters becomes ever harder to keep.

The writing in this book was spectacular, with information about the world revealed at just the right pace to keep me always wanting to know more. Since we mostly discover information with Cate, the way in which things were revealed felt like a natural part of the story. A few of the characters seem one-dimensional so far, but most of the characters have hidden depths so I anticipate the other characters becoming more developed later in the series. Over all, the creative alternate history and the intriguing characters made it hard for me to put this book down.

After finishing the book, I felt like something was missing and it took me a while to put my finger on what it was. In retrospect, my only problem with the book was that our protagonist did very little. Instead, the events driving the plot mostly happened to her while she thought about what to do. Hopefully now that this book has set the stage for some epic action in a great alternate history setting, the next book will see some character driven action as our protagonist comes into her own.

This review first published on Doing Dewey.